How to determine attribute types in ldapmodify ?

Hello,

I'm studying OpenLDAP server (1.2.10).  When i modify attributes, seems
ldapmodify always treats the attribute as binary attributes. In
clients/tools/ldapmodify.c, LDAP_MOD_BVALUE are always added to modify
operation and only LDAPMod.mod_bvalues is used throughout the program.
I think LDAMod.mod_values is used for ASCII attributes instead.  I wonder
if i've missed out something in the ldapmodify operation.

Would anyone please help?

Thanks a lot.
Regards,
ST Wong