Re: Outlook Express and Eudora bahave differently..

Joseph Silverman wrote:

> I have set up a slapd server with 100 or so entries in it.
> The typical entry looks like this:
>
> dn: cn=Joseph (Yossie) Silverman, dc=mrstock
> cn: Joseph (Yossie) Silverman
> Title: xxx
> ou: xx
> l: xxxxxxxx
> telephoneNumber: xxx-xxx-xxxx
> mobile: xxx-xxx-xxxx
> mail: yossie@mrstock.com
>
> When I use Eudora 4.3 address book to query against it with *
> as the search string, I get all the entries back
>
> When I use Outlook Express 5.02 address book to query against
> it with * as the search string (both default filter and simple
> filter), I get NO results back
>
> I ran slapd with -d 511 and got the following out of it:
>
> Eudora 4.3
>         conn=0 op=1 SRCH base="" scope=2 filter="(|(cn=*))"
>
> Outlook Express 5.02:
>         conn=1 op=1 SRCH base="" scope=2 filter="(|(mail=*)(|(cn=*)(|(sn=*)(givenname=*))))"
> Outlook Express 5.02 with simple filter:
>         conn=0 op=1 SRCH base="" scope=2 filter="(|(mail=*)(|(cn=*)))"
>
> What to do?

The Eudora 4.3  filter says:

	IF there exists a "cn" attribute
	OR <nothing specified>
	THEN return the entry

Not technically correct, but, as you say, it appears to work.

The first Outlook 5.0.2 search filter should return the
same results as the Eudora 4.3 search filter, at least
from the information you have provided:

	IF there exists a "givenname" attribute
	OR there exists an "sn" attribute
	OR there exists a "cn" attribute
	OR there exists a "mail" attribute
	THEN return the entry

The Outlook 5.02 "simple filter" has an incorrect nesting depth
for parenthesis; it should still work, according to the RFC, as:

	IF there exists a "cn" attribute
	OR <nothing specified>
	OR there exists a "mail" attribute
	THEN return the entry

This may have something to do with your use of colon (:)
instead of equals (=) in your LDIF, if that's really LDIF
and not something you just typed in.

Otherwise, I would look to see how they are binding; I
rather suspect that the Microsoft binding process favors
LDAPv3 and Exchange.

Alternately, it's just another bug in Outlook.

> P.p.s. Netscape Mail does return all entries from a * query.
> It has the added feature or auto-completing a To/CC/BCC field
> automatically.  However, my company has made a strategic
> choice to go with Outlook.

Netscape is unfortunately incompatible with most of the
recent popular email worm/virus distributions, so it's
understandable that they do that to maintain compatability.

8-).

-- Terry Lambert
-- Whistle Communications, Inc., an I.B.M. Company
-- terry@whistle.com
This is formal notice under California Assembly Bill 1629, enacted
9/26/98 that any UCE sent to my email address will be billed $50
per incident to the legally allowed maximum of $25,000.