Re: No Such Object

At 03:55 PM 6/6/00 -0500, Jonathan Donald wrote:
>           dn: dc=ldis, dc=com
>           dc: ldis
>           o: LDIS
>           objectclass: organization
>           objectclass: dcObject
>
>           dn: cn=Manager, dc=ldis, dc=com
>           cn: Manager
>           sn: Manager
>           objectclass: person

I'll assume your actual LDIF file doesn't contain spaces to
the left of attribute types AND that you loaded this with
ldapadd(1) and verified with ldapsearch(1).

>When I try to do a lookup using Netscape Communicator, I get the
>following error:
>
>   Failed to search 'OpenLDAP Test Installation' due to LDAP error 'No
>such object (0x20)
>
>Then I attempt to load an ldif file (exported from my Netscape address
>book):
>
>   %ldapadd -D "cn=Manager, dc=ldis, dc=com" -W < addressbook.ldif
>   adding new entry cn=Smith, John,mail=joe@ldis.com
>   Enter password:
>   ldap_add: No such object

The root of your DIT is "dc=ldis, dc=com" and this entry is outside
your DIT.

>Seems pretty clear that my directory is missing something very important
>(a root node?), but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this.

Well, if you added the first LDIF with "dc=ldis, dc=com", you
have added the entry at your.  (note: you do not need (and
should not) add "dc=com" as someone suggested).

Kurt