md5 authentication

Hi,
after many hours of trying without success hopefully you can help me
here:
My environment: OpenLDAP 1.2.9 stable on SUSE 6.3.

I want to use MD5 for authentication mechanism.
I first tried anonymous, cleartext and the unix cryptpw which all work
fine.
How do I create the MD5-encrytion? Is there a tool (beside that perl
module that I didn't get running) ??
And is it the case that my OpenLAP version supports CRAM-MD5 only? When
I try to set the encrytion method via JNDI I always get
javax.naming.AuthenticationNotSupportedException or the [LDAP: error
code 2 - version not supported].
TIA
Chris