Re: Querying Directory entries

On 25 May, Aoife_Kavanagh@rta.nsw.gov.au wrote:
> I'm  having problems with using ldapsearch if I do multiple
> ldif2ldbms with different files.  For exmaple, if I populate my tree
> using one ldif file and then do a number of successful ldapsearchs
> then that's fine.  If I then create another ldif file and using
> ldif2ldbm to put that in the tree, my previous successful ldapsearches
> now fail with Object Not Found.  So, I shut down my slapd, removed the
> contents of index directory, concatenated hte two files and then did
> a new ldif2ldbm and all my ldap searches worked fine again.  I used
> ldapadd to manually enter new information and that was fine.  Ideas?
> Is there a command

ldif2ldbm does exactly what it says. It converts an ldif file to an
ldbm database. It's not an offline modification tool and hence will
replace any existing data.

If you want to make modifications to an existing database, use ldapadd
or ldapmodify.

> Also, is there a utility that allows you to list the contents of your
> tree (other than ldapsearch), and is there a utility to remove/delete
> an entry?  Sorry if these are obvious questions I just can't find
> them.

Use ldbmcat to convert the database to an ldif file (should be done
offline to ensure consistancy).

ldapdelete will allow you to delete entries.

As a general rule, commands in bin/ are for online access to the
database and commands in sbin/ are for offline usage.

--
Doug Nazar
Dragon Computer Consultants Inc.