Re: ldap cant connect

Ray Schneider <ray@tux.org>  wrote --
> Completely new to LDAP....I have followed the directions on the
> Quick-Start on the site....
> Everything seems to be okay....but then I try to do the following
> command and get...
> command:
> ldapadd -D "cn=root, dc=schneiderystems, dc=com" -W <conf.ldif
> Enter LDAP Password: <i enter the password>
> ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server
> I have been parsing thru all the archives and howtos and such....I
> suspect that this is simply that the ldap server isnt really starting
> when I issue
> su root -c '/usr/local/libexec/slapd -f slapd.conf
> but, alas I havent been able to cure this...any help on this would be
> great....Im sure its just something simple that I must be
> overlooking....

some unix solutions..
try 'ps -aef | grep slapd' to verify slapd is actually up.
you can give full pathname for slapd.conf.
instead of 'su root -c...' you can explicitly login as root and start

As a personal preference., I feel "The SLAPD and SLURPD
Administrator's Guide" a better starter document. Visit

 3com Corp.                     Off: 847-797-2954 [USA]
 Cibu_Johny@mw.3com.com         Res: 847-357-1041 [USA]
 http://CibuCJ.tripod.com       Mob: 847-287-9604 [USA]