Re: newbie slapd.conf question

dc stands for domain component.  So in the domain foo.com, foo and com are
domain components.

So you can represent foo.com as

Both of them accomplish the goal of getting a globally unique name for the
foo.com organization (if everyone plays nice and uses domain names).  Which
to choose?  I choose dc=foo,dc=com since it is advocated in an RFC (I forget
which), and if you can refer someone to an RFC you are usually safe :-)