Re: bind failure

Chris Lundell wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have an Address Book which binds to the LDAP server (v. 1.2.9 using
> Netscape 4.7).  Every now and then, I get the following message:
>
> "Failed to bind to [name of address book] due to LDAP error 'Unknown
> error' (0xFFFFFFFF)'"
> and the loop concludes.
>
> Can anyone give any hints as to what's going on?

Dear Chris,
if you use Netscape on Linux as a client for OpenLDAP's slapd you will
experience
many occurrences of this error; in my opinion it is related to some
subtle internal
of Netscape's client libraries that drop the connection every now and
then. The fact
could be related to some timeout or latency, because after we moved our
server
to a 2-xeon Linux box the number of occurrences dramatically dropped,
but every
now and then they do show up. We didn't notice the problem with Windows
clients.

Regards, Pierangelo

--
Pierangelo Masarati <ando@sys-net.it>