SO_KEEPALIVE

Hi

I have a problem, I'm running openLDAP on FreeBSD 3.1.
My users use Netscape Roaming Profile, they are on different kind of
Microsoft OS. The TCP connections terminates after an amount of time on
the server side, but not on the microsoft side. I suspect this is
because that tcp in FreeBSD implements KEEPALIVE but microsoft do not.

When I look into the source of openLDAP I find that SO_KEEPALIVE is set
in daemon.c on the socket. If I would want to get rid of this keepalive,
is it enough to change this code? Is there any way I can effect the time
period before I get the timeout?

If it depends on the timeout, shouldn't freeBSD send out a FIN, so the
tcp would terminate on the microsoft side too.

Do anyone know anymore about this feature. I know this might not be the
right place to ask this kind of question, but I thought it might
interest a few.

/Urban
begin:vcard
n:Lindberg;Urban