Re: LinuxThreads (0.8) are non-preemptive ?

Yes.  http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=113

>I imagine that performance will be a lot
>better (or am i gravely mistaken here :-).

Better than --without-threads, at least.

>I searched freshmeat for other thread implementations and
>i vaguely recall something like uthreads or something.
>Any preferred/tested/proven packages ?

I generally recommend GNU Pth.  A patch to 1.2.9 is available
to provide "native" support for GNU Pth.
  http://www.OpenLDAP.org/its/?findid=453

This patch will be integrated once the one issue noted in the
ITS is resolved.

>To satisfy my own curiousity:

It will be behave unexpectedly, possibly resulting in information
loss.  Further details can be obtained from the archives.

>PS: I realize this might be a FAQ. Would it be an idea to include
>        it in the FAQ files too ?

You are welcomed to add a specific answer to a specific question.