openldap hangs during search

Hi,

Lately, i found out that the openldap sometimes hangs for a while during a search.
Most of the time the search result returns instantaneously but when the hang occurs, it will
takes approx 10 minutes before things return to normal. Hence, in this 10 minutes there are interruption in our service.

Our openldap database has about 38000 records and it replicates to four slaves around the world.
Hardware configuration is Pentium 3 500 Mhz and 128 M.

i did a ps-ux but there isn't an indication of anything processes taking up too much of the cpu time.

What could be the cause of this 'hang'? I thought openldap is stabil.

regards,
steven