Re: Using OpenLDAP instead of Netscape Directory server

Netscape Calendar is part of the Professional edition of Communicator, which can
be downloaded from Netscape or look for cp32e4* instead of cc32e4* through
ftpsearch.

One thing I don't quite understand is whether all these postings actually mean
to say that I can "operate" NSCalendar via OpenLDAP _without_ need for
NSCalendar server (don't think so)?? If not, is there any way to make my
calendar roamable with ldap (while then not being group-aware)??

Greetings,
Ingmar Gutberlet

squeegy+ldap@squeegy.org schrieb:

> Is the Netscape Calendar part of the Browser or is it a free dowload
> or is it a something you must purchase?
>
> > Raj Mathur wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Has anyone tried using OpenLDAP as a replacement for netscape
> > > directory server, so that other netscape applications (messaging,
> > > news, calendar, etc) are able to fetch and update data from/into
> > > openldap?  What would be the schema in case someone wants to do this?
> >
> > We've been using openldap with Netscape Calendar for about a year now.
> > Primarily, I followed the instructions at:
> > http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?_highlightWords=calendar&file=194
> >
> > The biggest problem I had was with passwords.  During installation,
> > Netscape Calendar binds to the directory server with the administrator
> > password.  As I recall think it expected the administrator password to
> > be the same as the rootpw in the slapd.conf.  To be safe, I just set all
> > my Netscape Calendar administrator and openldap administrator passwords
> > to be the same.  There may have been a better way to do it, but it's
> > worked so far.
> >
> > > On a related note, has anyone managed to make Netscape Directory and
> > > OpenLDAP replicate with each other?
> >
> > I was able to get this to work sometimes, but it was much more trouble
> > than it was worth, particularly since I didn't need Netscape Directory
> > Server for our calendar any more.
> >
> > --
> > Dave Brodin
> > Lead Systems Engineer
> > Information and Technology Services
> > City of Bloomington
> >

> ___________________
>
> Jt "The Squeegy" Chiodi
>
> http://www.squeegy.org/
> squeegy@squeegy.org
begin:vcard
n:Gutberlet;Dr. Ingmar
tel;cell:+49-170-4103232
tel;fax:+49-3641-945142
tel;work:+49-3641-945145
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:University of Jena;Biological and Clinical Psychology
adr:;;Am Steiger 3, Haus 1;07743 Jena;;;Germany
version:2.1
email;internet:gutberle@biopsy.uni-jena.de
fn:Dr. Ingmar Gutberlet
end:vcard