RE: Newbie question: setting userPassword field

Hmm, this may solve my prob...

> No.  OpenLDAP 1.x recognized hashed values but will not generate them.
> We have no plans to add any new features to OpenLDAP 1.2.

When you say "recognized", do you mean that a hashed value, such as a
userPassword attribute, can been stored as such, then a plaintext password
will then automatically be hashed and compared with the hashed attribute,
thereby eliminating the need to incorporate a hash function into an
authentication module?  I understand the implications of this - plaintext
passwords would then be transmitted over the net - but this does not concern
me for the moment.

Dan Makovec
e-mail  dan@fatcanary.com.au <mailto:dan@fatcanary.com.au>
ICQ     1398090
Every day is a gift, that's why the present is so named