creation of test database

I am wanting to create a test database with its own conf file on the
same Unix machine a our live database.

Is there some way I can specify another port number for this
database to use, as I do not want to have to stop and start the live
database everytime I change the conf file.

I am also looking at using the etc/passwd file to authenticate
users, but when I try to use the database passwd on the conf file. i
get the following error "	Unrecognized database type (passwd)"

Can you please help or let me know where to look for the answers.

Thanks in anticipation

Tony