Re: Deleting root entry

Chong Yu Meng wrote:

> Hi ! I'm a beginner with OpenLDAP, and I'm having some problems ...
>
> (sounds like an Alcoholics Anonymous intro)
>
> Anyway, I successfully installed OpenLDAP 1.2.7 and I tried the stuff in
> the Quick Start Guide, and everything worked fine. Now I want to get rid
> of the original LDIF entries that I put inside, especially the Manager
> entry. Unfortunately, the Manager entry is the rootdn, and I can't seem
> to be able to get rid of it.
>
> So, what's a good way to re-initialize the database (i.e. erase the
> database completely and start over), without uninstalling and
> re-installing the product ?
>
> Regards,
> pascal chong

Not sure if this is good, but it worked for me ;-)

1    shut down slapd.
2    go to directory that's specified in slapd.conf
3    delete the database files (if it's in it's own directory, it makes it
easier to find which ones to delete)

4    restart slapd
5    live happily ever after.

This will (obviously) give you a clean slate.

Matt.

P.S. for single entries when you want to keep the rest, try the ldapdelete
man page.