uid case sensitivity

Hi, all!

We are using OpenLDAP 1.2.7 (with Berkley DB 2.7.7) in combination with
Netscape Enterprise Server. And we want to authenticate webserver users
against OpenLDAP. Everything works fine, accept that our existing users
(currently in a SQL-db) contain login-names like 'Johan' and 'JOHAN' so
we want to make the uid ces. Nothing happens in we add "attribute uid
ces"
or even "attribute uid bin" in our (included) slapd.at.conf (Yes I know
it's not
wise to change the standard attribute types, but as I see it we have no
other
choise)

If we turn on debugging, we see that the dn-search always in performed
in UPPER CASE, or is it just a debug-feature? If we have a user
"uid=Johan,ou=People,o=domain.se" and tries to add
"uid=JOHAN,ou=People,o=domain.se" we always get a error
"ldap_add: Already exists" Apperently Netscape Directory Server (that
NES is primarily build to talk with) handles this in a "nonstandard"
way. Can we still use OpenLDAP or does we have to use Netscape
Directory Server? (I would prefer OpenLDAP ;) Or should everything
work when we change the uid-attribute to ces?

    //regards: Johan Karlsson <jka@eminds.se>

begin:vcard
n:Karlsson;Johan
tel;cell:070-44 1111 8
tel;work:070-44 1111 8
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://eminds.se/jka
org:eMinds AB
adr:;;Karlsviksgatan 10,2tr		;112 41  Stockholm;;;Sweden
version:2.1
email;internet:jka@eminds.se
x-mozilla-cpt:;7872
fn:Johan Karlsson