Newbie Needs Help

Hi folks.  Yup, another clueless newbie needs help.  But at least I *know* I'm
a clueless newbie.  I'm only a recent newcomer to Linux as well, so please be
gentle.

I grabbed and installed openldap-1.2.7-2.i386.rpm under Red Hat 6.1.  Here are
my config files:

::ldap.conf::
HOST    localhost
BASE    o=Miracom,C=US
PORT    389

::slapd.conf::
include         /etc/openldap/slapd.at.conf
include         /etc/openldap/slapd.oc.conf
schemacheck     off
#referral       ldap://ldap.itd.umich.edu

pidfile         /var/run/slapd.pid
argsfiles       /var/run/slapd.args

# ldbm database definitions
database        ldbm
suffix         "o=Miracom,c=US"
index           cn,sn,ou        pres,eq,approx
index           objectclass     pres,eq
index           default         none
directory       /var/ldap
rootdn         "uid=root,o=Miracom,c=US"
rootpw          secret

When I run slapd, it seems to start up fine.  I can see the process running
fine.  So I tried to add info using
    ldapadd -w secret -D 'cn=root, o=Miracom, c=US' -f test.ldif

::test.ldif::

dn: o=Miracom, c=US
o: Miracom
objectclass: top
objectclass: organization

dn: cn=David Strauss, o=Miracom, c=US
cn: David Strauss
sn: Strauss
mail: dstrauss@miracomcorp.com
title: Mr.
objectclass: top
objectclass: person
objectclass: organizationalperson
objectclass: inetorgperson

When I try, I get this error:

ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server

I've searched the docs and the archives all over openldap and I saw a couple
people with similar errors.  But the suggestions given to help them don't seem
to help me.  I get no errors in /var/log/messages.   Another site said that
perhaps the system didn't recognize localhost, but that's not a problem here.

Any ideas?  I'm sure it's something real simple that I'm just missing.

Oh well.  Remember, be gentle!  :)

Thanks in advance,
Dave

--