Re: Perfomance with ACLs

Mensaje citado por: "Kurt D. Zeilenga"
<kurt@openldap.org>:

> At 06:59 PM 10/19/99 +0200, Joaquin Galeano wrote:
> >I'm trying to set up acls with our directory in order
to limit access to
> >administrators. The thing is that with those controls
we have a very
> >very bad performance. Is that normal?
>
> It's easy to write poorly performing access
controls...

> >Is there a way to reduce the performace lose?
>
> A few general hints:
>
> 1) combine rules

I have tried with only one rule. In this case, the rule
is exactly like the following:

access to dn="ou=suborg-1,o=org,c=ES"
   by dn="cn=admin,ou=suborg-n,o=org,c=ES" write

defaultaccess read

With that only rule, the time it takes to get a full
listing of the entries under ou=suborg-1 is quite more
than the time it takes to return the list without the
rule.

> 2) use efficient regular expressions

I have also tried with other sintax but I got the same
performance fall.

> 3) avoid expensive acl features

I think the rule I set up is the simplest (isn't it?)

Perhaps is a matter of not listing all the entries: an
increment of the required time could be more
'affordable' in cases of searches, but it's only a
question of reducing the base time and the problem would
appear again with a hard use of the service.

> Also note that you might want to experiment with a
differnet
> regex library.

I read about using gnu regex library in the list
archive, but haven't still installed it (I thought I
wasn't using regular expressions, so I seemed of little
influence to me).

Thanks for your answer and thanks in advance for any
other indication/correction.