Re: Long query times: OpenLDAP 1.2.7 + BDB 2.7.7 + Solaris 7

From: Bernard Gardner <bernardgardner@ozemail.com.au>
> I'm also currently seeing strange problems on a build
> of OpenLDAP 1.2.6 with BDB 2.7.7 on Solaris 7.
>
> The symptom I'm seeing is the slapd process is processing
> add requests very very slowly (about 1 every 3 seconds).

I managed to get a usable solution by turning reverse (IP->name) DNS lookups
off by adding the --enable-rlookups=no option to the ./configure line. There
is definitely something very evil with Solaris's resolver libraries and the
nscd daemon and this is reported in the Squid (Internet HTTP proxy) pages
(search for Solaris nscd):

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-14.html

and

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/199806/0089.html

I also tried installing a local caching named but that only alleviated the
problem, certainly didn't solve it. It may be possible to link with libbind.a
and avoid use of nscd and its DNS lookup serializing but I haven't had a
chance to try this (I understand Solaris's resolver is BIND 8.1.2 anyway
altho' modified to use nscd?).

Paul