How to get searches to work from root dn?

I am trying to set up a LDAP server that would service our Outlook
software with email addresses.

The problem is, I cannot seem to add nodes directly under the root in the
slapd and a search with no base dn doesn't seem to find the nodes under
dc=iscape,dc=fi.

This works:  ldapsearch "(sn=Vai*)" -h dell -b "dc=iscape, dc=fi"
This doesnt: ldapsearch "(sn=Vai*)" -h dell

Outlook can be configured to give a search root but I'd rather not since
some other programs (like in.xfingerd in the package) can't be configured
for it.

This is how I have populated the db now with ldapadd:

dn: dc=iscape, dc=fi
dc: iscape
o: Iscape Software Ltd
objectclass: organization
objectclass: dcObject

dn: cn=Jukka Vaisanen, dc=iscape, dc=fi
objectClass: person
cn: Jukka Vaisanen
sn: Vaisanen
title: Managing Director
mail: jukka.vaisanen@iscape.fi
uid: vaizki

And I cannot seem to be able to add a node just for dc=fi.. How do I
change my config/data to make searches work without a base dn?

Jukka Vaisanen