Problems deleting entries

1. What would cause an ldap_delete: Operations error?
I'm trying to delete some entries that I put in awhile back when I
was playing with ldap.  Now I can't delete them, with either
gq or ldapdelete.  I can delete other entries, though, so I don't
think it's a bind problem and the error does not indicate a bind
problem.  The only think I can think of is that those entries were
created improperly or are defined improperly.  Is there any way
to force them to be deleted?

Here's what I've tried:

[root@king tmp]# ldapdelete -v -D cn=root,dc=real-time,dc=com -w secret
"cn=Amy Tanner, ou=staff, dc=real-time,dc=com"
deleting entry "cn=Amy Tanner, ou=staff, dc=real-time,dc=com"
ldap_delete: Operations error

2. What's the easiest way to wipe the entire ldap database so I
can start with a fresh, blank copy?

Thank you!
--
Amy Tanner                                      Voice: 612.943.8700
Real Time Enterprises, Inc.	                  Fax: 612.943.8500