connection denied

I am running slapd 1.2.3 on a Red Hat 6.0 Linux machine. I have slapd working
from the local machine, and can do ldapsearch, add, etc.--but only from the
local machine. When I try to do a search from another machine, I get a message
like this (debug 256):
fd=7 connection from foo.bar.com (192.168.1.1) denied.

so I put in my /etc/ldap/slapd.conf the following line:
access to * by addr="192.168.1.1" read

But after stopping and restarting slapd, it still denies the connection. What
else am I missing? Even with debug set to 65535, it still just gives that one
line error.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug Kite