Problem with passwords that start with $

I am using openldap 1.2 and am having problems binding with passwords that
start with $, I have tried binding with passwords with the $ in all other
positions and it works fine, but when it is the first character in the
password it is not working.

I thought perhaps the software I had written was munging the password, but
I tried using ldapsearch and binding and it failed as well.  (Yes I did
escape it from my shell)

Perhaps this has been fixed in a more recent slapd.

James