need some help

Hi all,

I just installed openldap in my freebsd. I'm totally new in ldap world,
therefore please excuse me if my question seems too naive.

I believe I have succesfuly install openldap and slapd is running fine. I
can add new entries using ldapmodify or ldapadd. However I cannot 'login'
(from a windows machine) into my ldap server eventhough I'm using a correct
rootdn and password.

When I enabled the debugging facility, everytime I try to access the ldap
server as a root (or manager) slapd will print the following message:

do_bind
do_bind: version 2 dn (cn=manager) method 128
send_ldap_result 49::
ber_get_next on fd 7 failed errno 0 (Undefined error: 0)
** got 0 of 0 so far

What does that mean? btw, when I try to modify/add new entries,  I will get
error message like he following..

do_modify
dn2entry_w: ..blah..blah..<snipped>....
=> ....<snipped>....
=> ....<snipped>....
<= dn2id NOID       <--- no user id?

If I put 'defaultaccess write' in the slapd.conf then everybody will be able
to modify the entries right? but why I cannot?

Thanks for any hints.
Rosdi.