search fails with spaces in search value

This is really bugging me.  It could be that I simply have missed
something w.r.t. proper ldap searchstring syntax.  Hopefully someone can
put me out of my misery.

Consider this directory entry:

dn: cn=Domain Admins, ou=Accounts, ou=ITS, dc=enc, dc=edu
member: Administrator,1f4,1
objectclass: sambaGroup
ntuid: Domain Admins
rid: 200
cn: Domain Admins

Give the proper search base, you'd think that I'd be able to locate this
with this simple search string:

     '(cn=Domain Admins)'

Instead, I get this error message:

     ldap_search: Bad search filter

Uhhhh... okay... so, then I try this

     '(cn=Domain*Admins)'

Which works just fine!  I have a feeling I'm being a dummy here... any
ideas?

Thanks,
---

  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx