Re: Netscape's Address Book: can't query multiple entries

Edi Cahyadi wrote:

> Here is my myldif file:
> dn: o=PT Kiani Kertas, c=ID
> o: PT Kiani Kertas
> objectclass: Organization
>
> dn: cn=Edi Cahyadi, o=PT Kiani Kertas, c=ID
> cn: Edi Cahyadi
> sn: Cahyadi
> nickname: Edi
> title: UNIX System Administrator
> mail: ECahyadi@site.kiani.com
> telephoneNumber: 2785
> l: Mangkajang
> objectclass: person
>
> dn: cn=Agus Susanto, o=PT Kiani Kertas, c=ID
> cn: Agus Susanto
> sn: Susanto
> mail: ASusanto@corp.kiani.com
> telephoneNumber: 2118
> l: Mangkajang
> objectclass: person
>
> I create a new directory in Netscape's Address Book. Using "Show name
> containing: ", I try to search one more entry, e.g. by inputting "a" in it,
> it gives no output. The toolbar says: "No matches found". I expected two
> entries found.

Briefly looking at logs on my ldap server, when
Communicator searches against LDAP, by default it
does a search of (cn=*<key>*), where <key> is what
you typed in.  Presumably, this should find both
your entries - doesn't look like it is checking
for a particulat objectclass or anything. (BTW-
this is the default behaviour, and is w/ Communicator
4.6.1 for Solaris, and 4.5 on Windows.  Platform
should not matter, but version may make a difference
if you are running something old like 4.0.x.

> Which log did mean? I don't find any related to this error.

The logs on your LDAP server - access and error logs.
Search on something like agus and grep for that in
the logs.  Should show you something - may be a bad
base dn (i.e. a typo when you configured the client),
or some other error that will show you what it's
looking for.  Could be as simple as having 2 spaces
instead of 1 somewhere.

The server logs will most likely give the best
indication of what's going on - that's what they are
there for (well, one reason they are there...)

--
 Jeff Clowser
 mailto:jclowser@aerotek.com       Hanover MD  21076 USA