Openldap crashing

We're having a problem with OpenLdap where, after 2 days of running,
LDAP hasn't properly disposed of or closed all the files it has open
(file descriptors?) and then stops working, giving the message:

Jun 18 04:41:09 www slapd[15405]: warning: cannot open /etc/hosts.deny:
Too many open files

Any idea how to fix this or what the problem is?  We've just moved to LDAP
and it's rapidly becoming mission critical, so we'd rather fix the problem
than just restart the server nightly or something.

Thanks,
	Mark