Problems with attribute second names...

Good evening all,

After finally managing to get openldap installed and configured to my
satisfaction (or nearly) I am running in to a strange problem... Unless
I have the schema checking disabled attempting to use ldapadd to add a
user entry fails on attributes with second names (i.e. commonName [cn]).
Addtionally, I can't search on these attributes by their second names
(although the first works properly). Is this a configuration problem or
an intentional design feature (seems unlikely)? If its a config problem
could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Jared Housh