Re: Password control with YP(NIS)

Prasad HS wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are running NIS on Solaris boxes and I am currentlu trying out
> OpenLdap in this environment . Is there a way I can define and modify
> users passwords on Ldap which gets reflected in NIS databases also ?
>
> We are currently maintaining two sets of passwords , one in NIS and the
> other for Novel Network, by different support groups . How to
> synchronise NIS and Novel passwords with a single LDAP repository ? I
> don't know if this would reduce security level (from two passwords on
> different domains to single LDAP password entry)
>
> Thanks

 I have just finished adding the schema that you need to store NIS
information
(under ldap/schema/nis*)
to our development version of openldap, however, you need more than
that...
basically if you want your clients to continue to use NIS you need a
gateway
that will turn NIS queries into LDAP ones.

Check http://www.padl.com/projects.html

If you have SGI workstations you just need to change your config file
(/etc/nsswitch.conf) to tell your clients to use ldap directly.

Not sure about Novel part though or the Wondows one.....

REgards, Juan