Re: Problems with set up and connection...?

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
> At 12:37 PM 4/14/99 -0400, Johan T. Lindgren wrote:
> In general, you should NOT edit ldapconfig.h.edit (our INSTALL
> instructions need to be updated to reflect this).  If you want
> to muck with installation directories, use configure options.
> './configure --help' will give you a brief listing of the
> available options.  More help is available in file
> doc/install/configure.
	Hmm, I think the --help could be more verbose, but that is just me I
guess...

> You are reading the U-Mich reference manual.  OpenLDAP has a
> complete different build/install environment which is documented
> in the 'INSTALL' file within the distribution.
	Ok, I see... How come there are references to it in all the man pages
then? Makes me confused and bothered.

> --enable-DLDAP_DEBUG is meaningless to configure and hence should
> not be included on the configure command line.
	Ok, I won't include it next time. Is --enable-debug enough or do I not
have to do that either?

> >Here is the .ldif:
> Ugly, but I don't see any real problem with it.
	Always something good :)

> >> slapd.conf?
> >       Yes, slapd.conf, according to the URL above...
> I assumed you had one, I wanted to see what various directives
> you used (specifically "suffix").
	Ok, I hope you got one before.

> >> Your backend suffix probably doesn't match the requested DN.
> >       And where do I check this? In slapd.conf or ldap.conf?
> slapd.conf.
	Thanks :)

> I think Mike hit on the root of your ldapsearch problems...
>
> I strong recommend you start over with a fresh copy of OpenLDAP 1.2.1
> (so as to have a pristine ldapconfig.h.edit) and build your database
> with DNs that do not require LDAP quoting.  Once built, use ldbmcat
> and ldapsearch -b 'o=org, c=US' 'objectclass=*' to verify the database.

	Eh, uh, where can I find the 1.2.1 server? On OpenLDAP downloads there
is only 1.2 as far as I can see.

With thanks,
Johan

Jefferies & Company Inc. archives and may review electronic
correspondence.  It may be required to be produced to the SEC to other
regulators in a criminal investigation or in civil litigation.  Any
message coming into Jefferies & Company Inc. may be subject to the same
requirements.