Re: Problems with set up and connection...?

Which version of OpenLDAP?  which platform?  other relevant details?

At 11:16 AM 4/14/99 -0400, Johan T. Lindgren wrote:
>1 I changed the directories as needed in include/ldapconfig.h.edit to:
>/*
> * SHARED DEFINITIONS - things you should change
> */

You really should NOT change these!  Use configure options to
change install locations.   (this comment will be changed in
later versions).

>2 ./configure --enable-shared --with-gnu-ld --enable-DLDAP_DEBUG
>--with-ldbm-api=db

Debugging is controlled with --enable-debug and --disable-debug
options.  The default is yes.

>3 make depend
>
>4 make

Did you 'cd tests; make' ?

>5 Created a directory to store my db in (/usr/local/ldap)
>
>6 copied the db from:
>http://www.Openldap.org/faq/data/cache/104.html
> but changed the organization row to:
> "o=\"Jefferies & Co.\",c=us"

I really don't recommend using quotes within DNs... you
could use 'o=Jefferies & Co., c=US' or 'dc=jefco, dc=com'
(dc style).

>7 ldif2ldbm -f /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf first.txt

You might want to use ldbmcat to verify the db was created
as expected.   Also, a sample of your ldif would be useful
in diag'ing this.

>8 After this was done I started slapd with:
>/usr/local/libexec/slapd -d 65535 -f /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf
>-p 389

slapd.conf?

>9 When this was finished I did the following:
>ldapsearch -b 'o=\"Jefferies & Co.\",c=us' 'objectClass=*' -d 65535
>which according to the instructions should have given me everything in
>the database. But it didn't, instead this happened:

Your backend suffix probably doesn't match the requested DN.

Kurt