Installation problems on Linux

hi,

I am trying to install openLDAP version 1.1.4 on Linux

I have no success of making it through 'configure' --with-threads.

I have set the CPPFLAGS to -D_MIT_POSIX_THREADS
It gives me:
--------------------------
checking for pthread_attr_setdetachstate... no
checking for pthread_attr_setdetach_np... no
checking for pthread_setconcurrency... no
checking for thr_setconcurrency... no
checking if pthread_create() works... no
configure: error: pthread.h and pthread_create are not compatible

I was able to install Sleepycat Berkeley DB2 (version DB2.3.16)
successfully prior to installation of LDAP.

Next I tried to install the same version with option --without-threads and
it worked out. slapd is running without threads.

Can anyone guide me as to what the problem is in installing openLDAP with
threads ?
If I continue using version 1.1.4 without threads, where will it affect
the most (in performance ) ?

Thanks
Himanshu