[LDAP] How to organise the database?

Howdy,

I've just setup a local ldap server to experiment with but I'm
a little confused about the information I can put into an ldap server.

I believe the information in the ldap database is organised in
a tree structure, right?  Ifso, how can I define the layout of
this structure (which attributes go where and at what level) ?
Can I decide on this structure myself or should I adhere to some
predefined hierarchy if I want to use my LDAP server from a mail-client.
In other words: how does f.i. netscape find out where to get the information
I'm looking for?

Is there any document describing how to organise the data in the
database?  I searched the web for it but couldn't find anything about
the content of the LDAP server  (except for the RFC's but I would
really prefer something else if possible).

Thanks in advance,

Nico

system failure ... hit any user to continue ...
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (PSDC-B/DNSE-B)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: nico.deranter@sonycom.com