Multiple clients modifying one data. I need some technique for locking...

Hi!

There is an attribute in an entry called e.g "NextUniqID".
There are multiple clients, which should take this value, increment it,
then use it.

Is there any technique to solve the situation, when these clients want to
do this at the same time?
(They shouldnt use the same UniqID. They should do the change after each
other).

There is no other communication ways between clients except the LDAP
database.

I know this is a locking problem. I hope there will be some ugly solution.
Anybody?

Cly