Re: ldap and pop

> incoming (POP) mail.  I am trying to find a way to have a pop server
> like ipop3d check the ldap server to find out which pop server the
> client is supposed to get its mail and forward the user to that pop
> server on another machine.  I am trying to do this because we often
> add, change, and remove mail servers from our network.  I do not want
> my customers to have to change their pop settings on their mail
> clients every time that a change is made.  I want LDAP to hold all of
> that information instead.  If anyone want's me to explain any further
> or in any more detail, I would be happy to.

this is something i've often wished someone like foundry/alteon would
address.  for those of us running large mail farms a smtp/pop3/imap4 aware
layer four switch would be a godsend.

in the mean time i think you'll have to check out something like smunge,
which is a pop3 proxy which is capable of routing pop requests to
different servers based on ldap or regex (eg. so "^[a-f]*" goes to mail2)
information

http://www.i2pi.com/smunge/

adam.