The Mysteries of Substr Searches

So there I was, banging my head against the wall trying to figure out
why every time I did a substr search on certain fields in the directory
I would get no objects returned; even when I knew that was not true.

So I poke around a bit, and eventually forget about it.  It wasn't
impacting what I was doing in production, and my workload was to
much to really get back to figuring out what the problem was.

Untill yesterday, when it struck me like a bolt of lightening; I just
hadn't specified the "SUBSTR" bit's in the schema definition!

Once I did, lo and behold, OpenLDAP was doing the "Right Thing"(tm).
(Not that it wasn't doing what I had told it to all along, but still..)

So, my question is this: If I give you a valid LDAP search filter,
but it's an invalid search type (SUBSTR instead of EQUALITY), why does
ldapsearch and friends just tell me there are no objectes, instead of
complaining about the invalid search type?

Had it spit something out like "Invalid SUBSTR comparison on field X",
I would have known right away what the problem was...

Am I just dense, or would others find that usefull as well?

Adam

       Adam Jacob - adam@sysadminsith.org
* Evil Lord of the Sysadmin Sith Darth Rmdashrf *