Re: how to convert DB to ldif

At 05:54 PM 1/9/01 -0200, Alberto Silos Reis wrote:
>How can I convert the Dbase to ldif format

First, design a schema for holding your information in
LDAP.

Once you have done this, you either need a tool to directly
take data from your database and generate a suitable LDIF,
or a tool which takes some intermediate representation of
your database, such as CSV file(s), and converts these to
LDIF.

As the tool needs to be schema aware (understand how your
data is arranged in the database so it can be arranged
as desired in the directory), you likely will need to
write a custom tool or adapt an existing tool for your
own use.

Generally, I'd tackle something like this using Perl or another
scripting language which supports databases and/or database
intermediate file formats, LDIF and/or LDAP.  Basically,
you'd write the smarts while the scripting language would
provide the glue to the database and to LDIF/LDAP.

Kurt