´ð¸´: Newbie question re clients

About Perl module for LDAP, check this:
http://www.perlmonth.com/features/ldap/ldap.html?issue=11

Mark wilcox has a excellent tutorial about write LDAP script in Perl.

> -----????-----
> ???: owner-openldap-general@OpenLDAP.org
> [mailto:owner-openldap-general@OpenLDAP.org]?? Jack Barnett
> ????: 2000?7?28? 4:15
> ???: Lillith Lerien; openldap-general@OpenLDAP.org
> ??: Re: Newbie question re clients
>

> > I'm running openldap on a linux box, and need to set up
> something so that
> > the secretary, who is in charge of keeping phone lists and
> stuff up to
> > date, can access and *change* information in the database.  She is
> > non-technical, so I can't just give her root[1] on the
> machine and expect
> > her to use ldapmodify or ldapdelete or anything like that.
> Best would be
> > a web interface or a windows interface (non-technical, right?).
> >
> > I've looked at using web2ldap, but couldn't seem to make it
> work (I think
> > this is an issue with authentication, but it's hard to
> tell), and trying
> > to find all the stuff to install for perldap (not to
> mention having to
> > write the interface *after* I got that done) has been
> difficult.  I also
> > looked at wax500, but I am having trouble authenticating.
> I'd write to
> > umich about wax500, but I'm not -at- umich, so you can see
> how that goes.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this set up?  Right now the
> > database is searchable (that part is already in-use), but the only
> > modification is through ldapmodify or such on the machine.
> >
> > Lillith Lerien
> >
> > [1] Not to mention how bad an idea that is to begin with.
> >
> > Systems Administrator e: lillith@xpresschex.com
> > XpresscheX, Inc. v: 505-998-3141 x3712
> >

> You might want to check out:
http://www.iit.edu/~gawojar/ldap/.  It is a
java GUI client that works on Win32 (among others)and really easy to use.

The one thing I can't firgure out, is how to do you allow says user "Susie"
to `read/write` to this field, but doesn't get `write` (and maybe even read)
access to everything else? Do you know of any documents that go from "start
to finish" on ACL concepts and tighting/fine tunning security on OpenLDAP?

On openldap.org in the FAQ they have some Perl modules for accessing LDAP, I
haven't used them so I can't tell you how complex and/or stable they are.
Might be able to hack up a quick perl/cgi script just to update phone
numbers?

Jack

Humor or Insanity?
http://www.geekweb.org