[no subject]

I have been debating between using OpenLDAP and NIS+, but not really sure if
OpenLDAP is in the same concept as NIS+.  I would like to go with something
open source if at all possiable and a couple people suggested OpenLDAP, but
didn't have any other information then it was a directory service and open
source.

What I am trying to do, is have one "master" server and a couple of "slave"
servers.  A user will have an account on the master server and this
information (mostly just /etc/passwd) will prograte to the other servers, so
if the user wants to telnet into a slave they will have the exact same
envoirment as if they telneted directly into the master servers.  This would
be to "distrubate" load among the machines.  Is OpenLDAP designed to do
this, or does it have another purpose?

Also when sending info from master->slave is all the communications
encrypted so this could be used across untrusted networks?

I seen Linux and some FreeBSD is support :) but is there also a client and
server work on Solaris (sparc) 2.3-7? Could you say have a Solaris server
and 3-4 Linux clients?

In the LDAP howto is says:

"Slapd comes with three different backend databases you can choose from.
They are LDBM, a high-performance disk-based database; SHELL, a database
interface to arbitrary UNIX commands or shell scripts; and PASSWD, a simple
password file database."

The last database is "PASSWD", does this mean you can keep all the "normal"
unix confirgure files and just prograte them?  For instances, could I push
from the master the files `/etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/raddb/users` to
the slave server, or would they first have to be converted into one of the
LDAP db formats?

Thanks,
Jack

------