Re: Active Directory

Robert,

I look at it as 2 different things.

Robert_Parker@tertio.com wrote:

> Hi,
> 1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
> I notice from this mailing list that Active Directory has (some ?) LDAP
> capability. Is this "true" LDAP as per the RFCs ? i.e. could I use a
> standard LDAP client to read information stored on an Active Directory ?

Yes. You can give it a try.

> [I have read a paper from Microsoft saying that interface to Active
> Directory is over COM and that there are two "namespace" addressing
> schemes that can be used to access AD, one native WinNT and the other
> LDAP. Even though you could use the LDAP addressing scheme it seems
> you still need to talk COM to the AD, which is clearly not true LDAP.]

COM is the "API" for Micro$oft Window$ programming (well I can say LDAP
wrapper), in order to talk to Directory Server.
LDAP client can be implemented by any interface (JNDI, LDAP API, COM, Perl
lib, etc)  with LDAP RFCs. No matter what you use to comply with LDAP, it is
called LDAP compliant.

> Ancilliary Active Directory question (if it's not too off-topic): if
> data is stored in the WinNT namespace, is it accessible using the LDAP
> namespace?

I haven't tested it yet, but I believe it is accessible.

Thanks