Re: proper setup

At 05:31 PM 6/16/00 -0400, Jon P. Sellers wrote:
>If I search my OpenLDAP ldap server without specifying the search base,
>I get a "no object found" error. Specifying the search base, I get the
>expected response. However, I can search ldap.bigfoot.com without
>specifying a search base. Is this an issue with OpenLDAP or just my
>setup?

Neither.

>$ ldapsearch "cn=se*"
>returns "No such object"

That's expected.  Your server doesn't have global knowledge.

>$ ldapsearch -b "o=myorg, c=us" "cn=se*"
>returns expected attributes

That's expected.  Your server has knowledge of your naming
context.

>$ ldapsearch -h ldap.bigfoot.com "cn=se*"
>returns lots of stuff

Bigfoot pretends to have knowledge of some global naming
context.

>Does bigfoot's ldap server implement some functionallity that OpenLDAP
>lacks, or is it my setup? Thanks for the help.

Bigfoot is providing a directory which holds their global
knowledge.  OpenLDAP is providing a server which holds one
part of THE global directory.

Kurt