Re: MD5 passwords

At 09:56 PM 6/2/00 -0700, Yann Ramin wrote:
>I have a question about MD5 passwords and OpenLDAP.

This question is really specific to OpenLDAP, but RFC 2307
password generation in general.

>I've made an OpenLDAP password with the md5 command line program:
>
>md5 -s test
>
>Which generates 098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6.
>I put this into userPassword on a user (with {MD5} in front of it).

That digest is base16 encoded, not base64 encode, so it won't work.

There are numerous examples of how to generate MD5 and SHA1
passwords in the archives of this list, the software list,
and in the FAQ.

For crypt(3):
        http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=344

For SHA1, see the Netscape TechNote given here:
        http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=347

For MD5, just s/SHA/MD5/ (and fudge as needed) or see:
        http://www.openldap.org/faq/index.cgi?file=418

Feel free to add more examples to the FAQ... it's interactive.