Moving userdb to ldap

Hi,

I was wondering few things about moving a user database to ldap directory.

How efficient the solution is? Will it much more cpu-time or less when
compared to plain old password files. Quickly comparing for example
with finger shows that when requesting one account (finger -m), the
ldap solution might be faster, when reading all entries, the old
solution would be faster. Currently we have about 4000 users. I did the
testing with openldap. I created index for uid-attribute. Probably when
implementing this in production environment, i should also index
uidnumber-attribute. Any other suggestions?

We have to continue support the radius clients also. How to integrate
radius & ldap? Is there radius servers directly querying the ldap-tree?
I would prefer open-source one, which could be modified freely etc. I
would like to add some extra information to directory which affects on the
validity of account.

What about protecting the data in transit with ssl, are they any problems
when implementing tunneling solution with some of the software mentioned
in the FAQ?

I was also wondering about implementing a web-based management system for
accounts. Is there any such code around? Or any other solutions for
managing accounts directly in ldap-tree?