RE: Simple LDAP service

> We are building a configuration manager that we want to store
> configuration information in a directory, like AIX's ODM and
> (to a much
> more brain-dead extent) the Windows registry.  The directory will be
> accompanied with scripts that will make LDAP calls to pull down the
> configuration information and generate application-specific
> config files.

I don't know if you've already thought of this, but another
way of achieving what I think you want would be to write a
backend for slapd that used the config files as the data
store. This way, the config files can be read and written
as an LDAP directory, and the files can be edited by hand
if the manager functionality is not required. I'm thinking
you'd use the shell backend, or one of the scripting backends
in OpenLDAP 2. The conversion between a sane LDAP schema and
the config file format is probably pretty much the same routine
as you'd have to write to do it at the other end.

Bernard.