Re: ASN.1/DER compiler

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:

> Not true.  You can use the LBER (-llber) to do directly decoding and
> encoding LDAP messages.  Or, my recommendation, you can implement
> a custom SLAPD backend to allow SLAPD to present your data over
> LDAP.
>
> >1. The (already existing) Btrieve database is on another server and is used but
> >some other applications so I cant move it to where the LDAP server should be.
> >This means that I have to write my own DCOMM where the database is and another
> >'LDAPcomm' that listens to incoming LDAP requests, interpret them
> >(+authenticates) and then call the functionalities in DCOMM.
>
> A backend can be designed to access data using any mechanism you choose.
> People have written backends that use CORBA to communicate with the
> datastores.  I am sure one could do the same with DCOMM.
>
> We (and many LDAP vendors) provide a plugin interface specifically to
> allow developers to reuse protocol handling codes.  This allows developers
> to focus on integration with external data sources.
>
> >2. I cannot copy the databaseinformation to a berkley database (or whatever)
> >becourse other applications will update the data (and we do absolutely not want
> >two databases with 'update' functionalities between them.
>
> We're not suggesting you do so.  We are suggesting that you implement
> a custom backend to expose your existing datastore to the LDAP server.

This is great news for us, we need to configure OpenLDAP version that work with/on:

    *    NT4 platform
    *    ldapv3 protocol
    *    which 'delivers' the actual client request in this backend mechanism for
further
            calling of DCOMM functions.

so...
1.    what version of OpenLDAP should we use?
2.    where can I find documentation of this backend mechanism(preferable with
examples)?
3.     Other components/documentation I should check out (LBER and SLAPD e.t.c.)?

I dont think referals will be that important since all our data is stored in the
same server but this might perhaps change in the future. An extra field for this can
easily be inserted in all records in the database.

> Kurt

But where does OpenLDAP store the directory structure information?
The Btrieve database is 'flat' and we have multiple search functions for it but the
is not directory information.

Greatful for this help....to say the least.
--

Sincerely
Mikael