Re: ASN.1-BER/DER

Mikael wrote:

> Dear Kurt,
> first of all; thank you for the rapid response.
>
> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:
>
> > At 12:55 PM 11/23/99 +0100, you wrote:
> > >I have written a system that should handle incoming ldap strings (open,
> > >bind, search e.t.c.)
> > >and translate these into requests towards out (flat) Btrieve database.
> >
> > Might be easier to just write a custom backend to an existing
> > LDAP server.
> >

> We have been looking for LDAPv3 servers that we could use but either
> they
> are VERY expensive or they dont support ldap version 3. The free ldap
> servers also cannot use a flat database, they need berkley database or
> some
> other specific database as storage platform.
> This is what I've heard so far.
> Am I wrong about this?
> The best would ofcourse be to implement a existing LDAPv3 server and
> 'attach' it to out database. But we cannot change database.
>
> If you think that we could use OpenLDAP on NT4.0 and connect it to out
> flat database (Btrieve) which contains all the leaves in the directory
> then it would be great.

Well, I think that Kurt pointed you in the right direction. Have you got a
look to the "scripting Back End"?
In the scripting back end the routines that LDAP uses to access the database
are just scripts. You cann access every type of Database; even a text file.
(BTrieve ist much, much more than a flat file.

Best Regards
G. Baruzzi