TCP/IP string standard?

Hi!
I have written a system that should handle incoming ldap strings (open,
bind, search e.t.c.)
and translate these into requests towards out (flat) Btrieve database.
The question is:
What is the exact syntax for the TCP/IP strings for ldap clients (v3
prefered)?
I tried to connect with a UMICH source code base client (v2) called
'swix'
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/x500/swix/ .
I then simply printed the incoming buffer for open request and close
request when connecting swix to my ip and LDAP port.
The buffers looked like this:
open request (I assume):     14 bytes buffer from client (?)
                                           strlen of rBuffer is:11
The characters themselves are not printable but here are the ascii
values for them,
ASCII value for 0 is:48        // first character is '0' and
corresponding ascii value is 48
ASCII value for ? is:12        // second character is unprintable and
ascii value is 12
ASCII value for ? is:2          // and so on....
ASCII value for ? is:1
ASCII value for ? is:1
ASCII value for ` is:96
ASCII value for  is:7
ASCII value for ? is:2
ASCII value for ? is:1
ASCII value for ? is:2
ASCII value for ? is:4

and the close/abort request (I suppose): 7 bytes from client
                                                            strlen of
rBuffer is:6

ASCII value for 0 is:48    // first character is '0' (again) with ascii
value 48
ASCII value for ? is:5      // and so on...
ASCII value for ? is:2
ASCII value for ? is:1
ASCII value for ? is:2
ASCII value for B is:66

In what format are these incoming strings??? I now threat them like
ordinary 1 byte character strings.
Does these ldap string correspond to the ldap-URL syntax format (so I
can interpret them to real(?) requests)???
Where can I find the exact definition(s) about the TCP/IP translation,
i.e. how one should receive tcp/ip-ldap strings from a ldap client and
in what syntax the requests are in?

Greatful for any help!
PS! If any other developer are working with the same problem and would
like to cooperate then please contact me. DS!
--

Sincerely
Mikael