Re: Need a steer...

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, John Lederer wrote:

> I would like to control the data that is sent back to a web browser when
> it does a ldap url enquiry, i.e. ldap//anldapserver.com/uid=joe . Anybody
> have an idea how this is usally done?  i would like to send back a
> formatted web page with some of our data.

The first question to ask would be how does the LDAP server know it is
receiving a request from a Web browser instead of a "normal" LDAP client
(since they're both just speaking the same protocol);  if you can't
distinguish between the connection types (as I doubt you can) then you can't
send back non-LDAP information over the LDAP protocol to a Web browser.

The "usual way" is not to use Web browsers to make direct LDAP queries, but
have them go to a Web page/script which handles all the LDAP interaction, and
formats the return response.

Cheers..

dave