Re: a heretical question about LDAP in general

At 12:30 PM 11/13/99 -0800, Tom Spindler wrote:
>Have there ever been any proposals to simplify LDAP?

I suggest you review the proposals offered by members of
the IETF <http://www.ietf.org/>.  In particular, I suggest
reviewing the efforts of the LDAPext working group
<http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ldapext-charter.html>.
Whether or not these proposals "simplify LDAP" is something
I will leave up to you to judge.

>That is,
>to make the actual protocol octet-based rather than relying on
>ASN.1 and BER?

BER is an octet-based encoding of data described by ASN.1.
One would have to invent a new protocol if use a different
encoding of protocol elements.

>And possibly have a standard simplified API as well?

LDAPext is working on specifying LDAP APIs (C and Java).  The
C API draft is derived from RFC1823 and is extended to provide
LDAPv3 functionality.

>(I ask, because in all honesty, I only see about 10 API
>calls that are ever used in any LDAP-based programs. Of course,
>I'm not also dealing with source from people who want to assign
>OIDs to all schema, either.)

I suspect we will continue to see a layered API which allows
applications to interact as appropriate for their needs.

>(Yeah, I know that this question more properly belongs on one of
>the IETF lists, but I figured that a fair bit of those folks are
>already here.)

IETF work is done on IETF mailing lists.  If you have comments
concerning IETF work, please direct it to an appopriate IETF
mailing list or, if more appropriate, the responsible person(s)
for the IETF work (such as ID-authors, WG-chairs, ADs, etc.).

I suggest you post SPECIFIC issues you might have with LDAP
specifications to IETF LDAPext mailing list.  Please try
to be clear and consise.  I also suggest you review the lists
archives before posting to see if the issue has already been
addressed.

----
Kurt D. Zeilenga		<kurt@boolean.net>
Net Boolean Incorporated	<http://www.boolean.net/>