Re: ldapsearch

I suggest, if you want to use command line tools, that you take a
look at "LDAP: Programming Directory-Enabled Applications with
Lightweight Directory Access Protocol" by Tim Howes and Mark Smith
(ISBN: 1-57870-000-0).  It offers a number of examples of how to
use command line tools in scripts.  You might also peek at the
OpenLDAP tests (in the tests/scripts) for other hints on how to
write scripts using the tools.

If you do use the tools, I recommend specifying options to
produce/consume LDIF.  It's generally much easier to deal
with than the old U-Mich output.

At 12:43 AM 10/28/99 +0200, tcurdt@linux01.gwdg.de wrote:
>...but there MUST be a better way to these things!!

Well, though the clients tools can be used to write some
sophisticated applications, it's generally much easier to
write these applications in a scripting language (such as
Perl, PHP, Python, and TCL) that has integrated support
for LDAP.   The other choice is to develop the application
using a programming language, such as C or Java, and an
LDAP SDK.

	Kurt

----
Kurt D. Zeilenga		<kurt@boolean.net>